A Summary Of The Gospel
What We Need To Do To Be “Saved”
- Absolutely nothing. Not even faith. Salvation is by Grace alone.
What We Need To Do To “Experience Salvation”
- Understand God’s unconditional promise of salvation in Christ via the cross
- Trust the promise (ie “Have faith”)
What We Need To Do To “Walk The Path To Heaven”
- Get Baptised
- Accept Christ as Lord/into our hearts
- Be full of love
- Do good works
- Do penance
- Seek indulgences
- Confess our sins
- Participate in the Divine Liturgy
- Receive the Eucharist
What God Has Done
- He made an unlimited atonement, paying for the sins of the whole cosmos.
- He has secured the salvation of the entire cosmos by his death, victorious descent into Hell and resurrection.
- He has defeated death, conquered Hell, destroyed the devil, abolished sin. By defeating death he has therefore abolished any time limit for fulfilling the requirements of salvation.
- He has made an unconditional promise to every individual that they will eventually see salvation. In other words he unconditionally guarantees our success in our mission to fulfil the requirements of salvation. (In still other words, he predestines everyone to Heaven)
- He gives us freedom and presents salvation as an “offer”, so as not to force anything on us.
- He is always constantly sending us the grace we need in order to take the next step towards heaven.
What Is The Gospel?
Good news: You are saved! You will eventually make it to heaven! God guarantees it and you don’t have to do anything! Now it is time to walk the path to heaven laid out before you. So trust the promise and experience invincible joy, which will give you strength for the journey.
Footnote: Consequences For Failure To Walk The Path
A fiery, hellish Gehenna awaits:
- Timeless, torturous torment
- Severe punishment
- Extreme Chastisement
- Brutal purification and purgation
- Sins painfully burned away
- Mental, Physical and Spiritual terror
- Unable to escape without making an overwhelming, super human effort
So a failure to take the journey to heaven seriously is fatal. Far better to walk the path during life.